Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cape May Weekend Recap

Hawk watch platform at Cape May Point State Park

Let's just say that it took a few days for things to get going at Cape May... Friday was a wet mess and basically a bust bird-wise. Saturday was equally wet and dreary, but cleared up nicely in the afternoon. And Sunday was a stellar full-on Cape May experience. In addition to the good birding, Beth and I got to meet some cool fellow bloggers and birders. Here are some highlights and lowlights:

THE Bird Show, as they call the vendor exhibits there, was an awesome time. It featured some great industry representation, some amazing artists and carvers, and a really cool live raptor exhibit. We met up with Birdchick and Wildbird on the Fly working there, as well as the Born Again Birdwatcher schmoozing with some old friends. I passed out some blog business cards too!

"Birds and Beers," our evening of drinking and socializing, was a blast. We hung with birders, many bloggers, and industry reps. Conversation ranged from birding to blogging to cats to eco-living to publishing... a little bit of everything. Good beer selection too. I can't wait to do this again.

The Sunday birding was amazing! There were raptors everywhere, hundreds of short-distance migrants, and gorgeous weather. I got to bird with Laura, Delia, Susan, and Susan. Beth and I even took some time to taste wine at the Cape May Winery. We finished up the day with a Red Crossbill at a feeder near Middle Township, NJ. That was my 298th state bird.


On a lowlight side... We got soaked a few times. Also, my pal Mike from 10,000 Birds didn't get to feel the full Cape May experience that I previously "sold" to him since he was only able to stay until Saturday (and the birding stunk until Sunday). Hopefully next year will be better weather-wise!

I'm psyched to do this all again next year. I'm going to try my best to get a trip leader position there for next year, but we'll see how that works out. It was great meeting everyone and I hope to meet some more bloggers next year (you know who you all are!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a great time and enjoyed hearing about your adventure! Can't wait to hear about the details for next year!

dguzman said...

Oh man, I heard about that crossbill on Sunday afternoon, right around the time I had to leave for PA. Dangit! Congrats on your 298th!

I ended up with 30 lifers--not too shabby for a rainy weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm not impressed. Try 298 in a year. ;)

Wish I could have gotten down this weekend but I guess there is always next year!

Patrick B. said...

Delia, 30 lifers is awesome! Congrats!

Corey, and in a much larger state to boot! You're nuts.

Warren and Lisa Strobel said...

Patrick,
We are so jealous! Thought about coming for the weekend, but we had planned a trip to CM a few weeks before.

Glad the weather cleared for you!

Lisa and Warren

Patrick B. said...

Warren and Lisa,

We'll be doing it again next year I'm sure! Hope to see you there.