Monday, October 22, 2007

BirdCam: Take 1

The folks over at Wingscapes were generous enough to send me a BirdCam to play with. It's real easy to set up and I had it going in no time. Here are a few sample shots for what I've gotten so far. I'll come back with a full review after I try it out for a few more days.

For now, I have it mounted on the ground to see what birds and other critters are hanging out down there. The spot I put it in is a bit dark, so I moved it tonight.

I got a bunch of squirrel pics!


The House Sparrow party is well-attended. They're on the perimeter and it's a bit dark. I got a few shots of these too.

I got a few nice Blue Jay shots, again a little dark due to how I positioned the camera.

Umm... who the heck is this? This was a bit of a shock. No clue who this kid is. We also had some pics of two other kids playing in the yard.

The camera has been fun to play with. The "unknown" factor of what you'll see is great. More to come this week!

9 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

That squirrel pic made me laugh - I think he knows he's getting away with something and was caught in the act!

Anonymous said...

LOL, just love the birdcam shots!

Patrick B. said...

Laura, he definitely has that "Who me?" look going on!

Monarch, thanks! We'll see what today holds for us.

P. Ollig said...

Yeah, I need to really set mine up. I've got some time off now, so I'll try to get on it. We could have a little competition for the most humorous/unexpected photo capture...

Patrick B. said...

Paul, your first Mountain Lion shot will trump anything I can come up with!

Unknown said...

Great shots. One tip...the reason you are getting darker images is that the image is framed so that the center of the frame (fence in background) is brighter than the birds in the foreground. The BirdCam's exposure matrix is heavily weighted in the center. If you positioned it so that the background (or at least most of the center of the frame) was lit similarly to the birds, the exposure should be more even.

Susan Gets Native said...

Okay. How does one get to "play" with a BirdCam? I want to try out new bird toys. Who do you have to know?

Patrick B. said...

Bart, thanks for the tip. I had much better success yesterday. I tried a new location today too. Stay tuned for more pics later today.

Susan, Bart is the man to talk to about that.

yojimbot said...

Bart S...I could do wonderful things with a birdcam.
http://yojimbot.blogspot.com