Thursday, January 03, 2008

Parakeet Update


It's been quite a while since I posted an update on our parakeets, Roger (green) and Amelia (white). They are very healthy and doing quite well. Their wings grew in and we have not clipped them. We pretty much let them fly around our living room all they want except when we have a lot of company. They stay restricted to that room most of the time. Rarely one will fly into the kitchen. Each has developed their own personality. Amelia is the dominant one and Roger gets pushed around by her a lot. Amelia also seems to be more acrobatic. We call her the "little spider" because she likes to climb the walls and ceiling of the cage with her bill and feet. She even hangs upside down sometimes. Unfortunately, they are still afraid of us but we're using some training techniques to hopefully remedy that.

Here they are in flight:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also had a free-flying 'keet when I was a kid. My mom had a classic 1950's bushy hair-do, which the bird LOVED burrowing around in. When she had her hair done and was ready to go out, she would place a handkerchief on her head so the bird wouldn't land on it. Of course, one day she spent the entire day in public with a hanky on her head!

Patrick B. said...

LOL! Great story NH. Maybe if Beth puts her hair up they will be attracted to it. I know I'm not going to get anywhere with that strategy! :)

Beth said...

I love my babies but I'm not wearing a beehive for them. Or would that be a birdhive?

dguzman said...

Cool! My grandma in Mexico used to have this GIANT cage with dozens of little 'keets in it. I was always mesmerized by it. Thanks for bringing back some nice birdy memories.

And I want to see Beth in a beehive!