Wednesday, January 03, 2007

This bug stinks!

If you live in the mid-Atlantic area, keep your eye out for this bug:


The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

At our annual "Safety & Environmental Fair" at my work back in June, a member of the Rutgers Cooperative Extension handed me a magnet with a picture of this insect that was mocked up like a "wanted" poster. The Brown Marmorated Stink Bug was introduced to the Allentown, PA from Asia in 1996. It's established itself in several counties in NJ and PA and has become a nuisance because it feeds on crop plants. Also, the adult spends the winter indoors and emits a foul odor which can't make homeowners too thrilled.

The reason I'm writing about this bugger is because a co-worker approached me this morning with one perched on his very expensive pen (which I happily squashed). Another co-worker also had one at her desk a few weeks ago. I guess they like my office. I also have a guilty conscience because I think I released one from my house a month or so ago, not realizing what it was. If you see one, please report it to the Rutgers Cooperative Extension.

1 comment:

Beth said...

That's definitely what we had in the house. EEEW!