Thursday, January 18, 2007

Rare birds


Why do all the rare birds show up while I'm trying to get ready for my vacation? A Band-tailed Pigeon has been hanging out at a feeder in Cape May the last few days. I can't fit in a 5 hour round trip before I leave! Also, a Black Guillemot (that is being entertained as a possible Pigeon Guillemot) just showed up at Sandy Hook. If I didn't have a meeting this afternoon, I know where I'd be! If that meeting ends early, my work day might end early too!

UPDATE: Holy rarity Batman! The guillemot is now "officially" a Long-billed Murrelet. Wow. I'm going to make an attempt to see it tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the LB Murrelet, I might be trying for that as well.

-drew

Patrick B. said...

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the bird hasn't been refound (at least not to my knowledge). I was in a very long meeting yesterday and all I could think about was how I was missing this awesome sighting.

Patrick B. said...

UPDATE: The bird was rediscovered about 30 seconds after I wrote that last comment. I jetted down to Sandy Hook to discover a swarm of birders, but no bird. The wind was INSANE. I got bad windburn after only 15 minutes out there. As of now, the bird has not been re-re-discovered. I guess I won't be seeing it though. CR tomorrow!