Friday, December 07, 2007

And the winner is...

For those who forgot about my little contest from last month, the winner was Chet G. from Evanston, IL. Thanks to everyone who participated! Here are the answers.

1. Which bird was once known as Coues' Flycatcher?
Answer: Greater Pewee

2. If I told you that I saw a Blue Grouse in Colorado in 2005, what would that species be called today?
Answer: Dusky Grouse

3. Match these birds to their current names:

a. Duck Hawk (Peregrine Falcon)
b. Sparrow Hawk (American Kestrel)
c. Pigeon Hawk (Merlin)
d. Marsh Hawk (Northern Harrier)

4. What famous ornithologist once had a captive Ivory-billed Woodpecker wreak havoc on his hotel room?
Answer: Alexander Wilson (story here)

3 comments:

mon@rch said...

I remember this quiz! Hmm, did I guess? If not those are exactly the answers I would have said! LOL! Ok, maybe I wouldn't have guessed Wilson as the Ivory Billed Woodpecker trouble maker!

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Hi, Patrick,
Thanks for stopping by my site.
I'm always eager for helpful input--seems I come across many things I'm unsure about.
Hope you'll swing by from time to time!

Chet said...

Thank you, thank you!! I accept this book on behalf of all the little people I stepped on to get here!!

Really, thanks, it is a great book!