Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Spoonbill in NJ

In case you haven't heard, there is a Roseate Spoonbill currently being seen at the Forsythe Refuge in Brigantine, NJ (great photos here). I have not gone to see it myself, although it would make a spectacular addition to my NJ list. I believe this is only the second sighting ever in NJ and the first was by a single observer. If it sticks around until Sunday, I may make a run down there. It's a great place to bird this time of year, despite the greenheads.

2 comments:

Jennifer W. Hanson said...

You are correct; this sighting (if accepted) would be only the second record for NJ. The first record Roseate Spoonbill moved over to Staten Island before it could be twitched in NJ. I'm hoping this bird hangs around through the weekend myself, since I gambled on the Brooklyn/South Amboy Western Reef-Heron this past weekend (and lost).

Patrick B. said...

Jennifer, thanks for clarification. I just noticed your moth blog too. I'll have to check it out more later. I'm fascinated by moths. I need to get out and study them more.