Friday, June 23, 2006

Favorite Bird Songs

I was all set to unveil a new top 10 list on the bird blogging world, but John over at A DC Birding Blog beat me to it! John was the originator of the 10 Most Beautiful Birds post and has come up with another great one. Name your 10 favorite bird songs or bird vocalizations. Here's my list, in no particular order:

1. Veery - The ethereal song of the woods. Other thrushes have amazing songs, but this one takes the cake in my book.
2. Bobolink - People have likened it to the sounds of R2-D2, so maybe my childhood (and adulthood) obsession with the Star Wars movies made me choose this. (Note: I hate the 3 most recent Star Wars films.)
3. Red-tailed Hawk - Who doesn't love to hear the call of the RT Hawk? I just hate it when it's coming from a random bird in a movie that looks nothing like a RT Hawk.
4. Vesper Sparrow - A beauty of a song from the world of sparrows, where songs range from the super short to the super long.
5. House Wren - This song really symbolizes the arrival of spring for me.
6. Winter Wren - If I had to pick a #1, this would probably be it. A tiny bird with an absolute monstrous song is just beyond cool for me.
7. Tennessee Warbler - I have a penchant for birds with big songs and here's another.
8. Sora - A real song of the marsh, this little bird's song can carry quite a way.
9. American Bittern - The Thunderpumper... not so much a song, but a strange vocalization caused by gulping and expelling air. Truly a unique part of nature.
10. Barred Owl - A haunting sound of the woods and fun to imitate!

There are a zillion others I could have included on here and I only stuck to the ABA area, so no offense to any birds I left off.

5 comments:

Beth said...

More inspiration for me to write that piece of music I've been talking about!

LauraHinNJ said...

Nice list, Patrick!

So, you're comfortable with memes now?

;-)

Patrick B. said...

I still can't quite wrap my brain around the whole tagging thing, but I'm getting by! :)

KarbonKountyMoos said...

Wonderful - here's my favorite - but the recording doesn't sound as good as they do "in person"!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the American Bittern listed. I was just listening to one the other day--magnificent!