Thursday, June 29, 2006

10 Most Wanted Birds Meme

This is the Top 10 list that I was about to post when John posted his Favorite Bird Songs list. I wanted to start a new list by posting my "10 Most Wanted Birds". The rules are simple: Post a list of the 10 species that you'd most like to see. You can limit it to a geographic area or cover the whole world. Tag a few people and they in turn will post their lists on their blogs. I'm not sure I got the mechanics of this whole meme thing down, but here it goes anyway.

Here's my world list based entirely on only the birds I'm familiar with. I'm sure there are many more wonderful birds that I don't even know that they exist. In no particular order...

10. Swallow-tailed Kite - Is there a more majestic raptor in existence? I'm hoping to see one in Georgia next week or in Costa Rica next year
9. Capuchinbird - Just a totally odd bird that lives in the Brazilian Amazon
8. Superb Lyrebird - Everyone has probably seen this clip of this insanely cool Australian mimic
7. Phillipine Eagle - Severely endangered and the second largest eagle in the world
6. Any Bird-of-Paradise - Some of the most unique feather arrangements and courtship displays occur in these amazing natives of New Guinea.
5. Emperor Penguin - Who doesn't want to see these in the wild?
4. Marvelous Spatule-tail - Endemic to Peru, this unique bird may be the coolest of all hummingbirds
3. Bluethroat - I really want to go to Alaska for a chance to see this funny little thrush
2. Lammergeier - I get a kick out of birds that are the only members of their genus and this huge vulture fits into that category.
1. Cape Sugarbird - A South African bird with a huge tail!

I'll tag Mike at 10,000 Birds and John at A DC Birding Blog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick,
I work for Birder's World magazine and we happen to be running a poll right now asking for people to vote for their 10 most-wanted birds. You can vote for your top 10 at our site and be eligible to win a binocular. We'll tally the votes and post the results in an upcoming issue. You can find the poll here: http://www.birdersworld.com/mostwanted

Matt Mendenhall, Birder's World