Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Mother Lode of Birding Magazines

I inherited a few large stacks of birding magazines recently including most/all issues of Birding, American Birds, Winging It, and NJ Audubon magazine back to 1982. I'm not sure how far each goes back, but there's a significant collection there. Unfortunately, they were inherited from a NJ birder who is ill. I wish JW great health! I'll be looking through them over the next several months. I'll post any articles or interesting things that I'm allowed to. It should be a fun historical look at birding, especially the NJ stuff.

5 comments:

slybird said...

What an opportunity for you, really savor it. My grandma has about two years' worth of Wildbird centered around 1990. It was by far a different magazine back then, I almost didn't believe it when I found a more recent edition. I learned sooo much from them back when I was a kid birder, who only had my grandma to bird with and knew no one else.

Patrick B. said...

Thanks. It's gonna be so much fun to look through.

Anonymous said...

I've purchased several lots of older Birding and Winging It off ebay. I absolutely love going through them. You've certainly got a lot of great reading ahead of you!

Nate said...

One of the best things about my volunteer job at the NC museum is the cabinets full of old Birding magazines, from the very beginning of the ABA.

It was a totally different magazine and organization back then, for better and for worse. Really interesting stuff. It's amazing to see how much we've learned about field birding since then.

Anonymous said...

I have been browsing my virtual birding library while confined to quarters. Links are in my blog.