Monday, June 30, 2008

Orchard Spider


Our yard, if you can call our little patch of shrubs next to our condo a yard, has been overrun with some interesting spiders this year. In about six different spots, interesting green and gold colored spiders have taken up residence. In the 4 summer I've lived here, I've never seen anything like them. They are approximately 1" long (legs included) and build a slightly messy web. I tried to get some pictures, but it's tough to photograph something that's suspended in the air with no background. Plus, I was using my point-and-click camera. A little googling found what I think is the correct identification: Leucauge venusta - a type of Long-jawed Orb Weaver also known as an Orchard Spider. As much as we'd like to think of our yard as an orchard, it's far from it. Enjoy a few more shots: