Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Squirrel stuck in our feeder!

Beth called me at work this morning to let me know that a squirrel had poked its head through the hole in the outside cage of our "SQUIRREL-PROOF" feeder and was eating seed. The center seed tube of the feeder somehow became dislodged from the base recently and is swinging freely inside the cage. The squirrel managed to get at the seed this way. Fast forward a few hours... Beth calls again and tells me that the squirrel is now stuck in the feeder! I made plans to come home, grab my wire cutters, and cut the cage to get the squirrel's head out. What I didn't understand was that the WHOLE SQUIRREL was trapped inside our cage. Video footage below:

Lucky for us, the little devil managed to find his way out on his own. I have no clue how!

6 comments:

Quintus Joubert said...

I had a Chipping Sparrow stuck in one of my globe feeders the other day. I was wondering whether the Chipper wanted to turn the feeder into a hawk feeder. This one tops mine by miles. How the heck did the squirrel get in and out of there? Cool video, thanks

Patrick B. said...

It seems that below where the seed tube used to connect to the base, there is a large enough hole for the squirrel to fit through. He got back in again a little while ago. Then when he climbs in, the seed tube swings back over the hole and he gets stuck. Eventually he'll figure it our completely, but not before I fix the feeder.

Anonymous said...

In my experience there are squirrel resistant feeders but no 100% squirrel proof feeders. If you give a group of sqirrels long enough, one of them will figure it out.
Vern

Susan Gets Native said...

I think the manufacturer would be pleased to see that video, huh?
Squirrel-proof. There's no such thing.

Patrick B. said...

Susan, I actually sent them the video and they responded. I didn't know the full story on how it got in/out before I wrote them. They said that some smaller squirrels can slip through the holes in the sides. We're sure ours went through the bottom.

RuthieJ said...

Hi Patrick,
I have that same feeder and cage but the cage has an open bottom and my seed catcher tray on the feeder keeps the squirrels from getting in underneath. I have only had a red squirrel inside the cage--I don't think the bigger squirrels have even tried to get in.
I'm glad he got out OK. I know they're a nuisance, but it would be awful to have him get injured and then you'd really have a problem getting him out of there!