Friday, August 17, 2007

Bird song ring tones

Today, I did something I rarely do. I clicked on an ad on a web site, specifically, a link to Conservation Calling from 10,000 Birds. Conservation Calling sells ringtones, wallpaper, and games for cell phones. Ten percent of their profits goes to American Forests and their Global ReLeaf campaign. All of their products have a wildlife or outdoor theme. They have a whole series of bird songs as ring tones for $2.99 and I couldn't resist downloading one. The selection isn't huge, but there are some good ones. Since they didn't have Winter Wren, I settled on Eastern Screech-owl. I figure it'll serve two purposes - it's a cool ring tone and I can use it to make songbirds mob my cell phone. I'm looking forward to the time when I'm walking down the street, Beth calls, and a Mockingbird pecks me in the head.

8 comments:

Quintus Joubert said...

I'm dissapointed in you! Come on, be daring and download the Blue Jay. I already have them and the crows waking me at sunrise......

Anonymous said...

To bad they don't have American Bittern, that would get you a few looks when your phone rings while walking around the mall...

Patrick B. said...

Will, I definitely would have gotten that!

Anonymous said...

I made my own ring-tones! My normal ring is a winter wren but also have bobolink set for when my parents call. I also have Hermit Thrush and Screech Owl on their! Isn't their any other kind of ring-tone?

dguzman said...

I've seen those ads and always been a little worried, but it's cool that it worked for you. Except when the mockingbird pecks you in the head.

sherry said...

Hi Patrick and friends. Thanks for checking out Conservation Calling! You talk, we listen - we've just added the American Bittern and winter wren, among others. :-) (Note that there are two pages of birds in A-Z.)
happy birding!
tammy
http://www.conservationcalling.com

Patrick B. said...

Awesome! Thanks Sherry!

Anonymous said...

Another good resource for birdscall ringtones is phonesherpa.com. They have a great selection. I had the loon for a long time and loved the way people reacted to hearing it in the city. It is amazing how with all of the sounds that are going all the time people inherently recognize a wild natural sound as different and orient to it in a different way than music beeps or rings. I did have a conflict about coming to associate the sound of a loon with my cell phone rather than the real bird. But in the end the number of conversations about loons and birds that came from having that ringtone made up for it.