Friday, August 11, 2006

Grasslands Breeding Bird Survey Final Update

Today was the last round of my Grasslands Breeding Bird Survey. I had to do the second habitat survey. The purpose of the second habitat survey is to see how the habitat has changed since the first habitat survey was conducted (prior to the 2 bird surveys). I was disappointed to find that in the 2 months or so since my last bird survey, a lot of the habitat has changed significantly. One of the best spots I had which was home to Grasshopper Sparrows and Bobolinks is now a mowed field. I don't know when it was mowed, but I can only hope it was after the birds had nested and the young had fledged. Several fields were tilled and a few others were now home to soybeans and corn crops. THere was hope as some of the areas still had good habitat. That's the story of grassland birds across the US I guess. I can't knock the farmers for making a living, but it's just a shame that almost every grassy field I drive by has a "to be developed" sign on it.

1 comment:

Patrick B. said...

Mario,

That's wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. What kind of falcon is that?