Sunday, December 24, 2006

Rancho Naturalista Update

Back in April, I posted about Rancho Naturalista, a lodge in Costa Rica that I stayed at in November 2005. Andy Walker, a local guide, recently posted a scathing report about the lodge and its current management. Andy is a partner with the tour company that I went to Costa Rica with and he has very close ties to Rancho Naturalista. I asked the tour leader who I went to Costa Rica with about Andy's report. He recently went to Rancho in October and said that there have been some problems with the management, but it is not quite as bad as Andy made it sound. I wanted to just put this out there so people are aware of it in case anyone is planning on going to this very popular place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK-so I came back from there at the end of March and I can say very conclusively that the negative reports were in error or vindictive or both. I had a lovely time, the owner was lovely, and we saw scads of birds, including hard to view birds such as Tawney-throated Leaftosser, Buff-throated Foliage Gleaner, Purplish-backed Quail Dove, Immaculate and Dull-mantled Antbird, and 16 species of Hummingbirds! If you have the chance, go!

Patrick B. said...

Jeff, thanks for the update! I knew it wasn't true. I can't wait to go back someday. It's a magical place.