Sunday, September 14, 2008

Un-be-WEEVIL-ble


Beth and I were running some errands today. While we were getting into the car, Beth said, "Look at this!" Assuming it was a dent from some not-so-careful driver, I rushed over. Fortunately, it was nothing like that at all. Instead, it was this REALLY cool weevil. I've narrowed it down to the genus Curculio - the nut and acorn weevils. I snapped a few pics. Only one came out clear, but you can see the antennae fastened to the rostrum ("beak") of the weevil which, to me, gives these guys an "other-worldly" appearance.

Here's one more (blurry) pic:

6 comments:

dguzman said...

Neato!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

That's a wierd one.

Amila Salgado said...

Looks cool!

Anonymous said...

About how big is this weevil? just curious.

Patrick B. said...

About an inch long, maybe a tiny bit more.

Jason Kessler said...

Yikes!