Monday, May 25, 2009

GREAT Swamp Birding

Last week, an adult White Ibis was found at the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. There are only a handful of inland records of this species and I had never seen one in NJ (despite there being a few sightings of one last year). Sunday was a beautiful morning, so I headed out early to the spot where it had been seen most regularly. A few other birders were around and we all waited patiently for the bird to show with no luck. Other birds were there for our enjoyment though. Lots of Yellow Warblers were around and I was able to get a good shot of one.





I also saw Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Yellow-billed Cuckoo (a pic not worth publishing - it's so bad!), Swamp Sparrow, and several Green Herons. The highlight while waiting for the Ibis was a gorgeous singing Mourning Warbler. I've never had such good views of this bird even on breeding grounds in the Adirondaks. He was a bit too skittish for my camera, but I was able to get a shot.




At this time, a gentleman with a camera approached us. He mentioned that he had seen the White Ibis from a blind a few miles away and showed us a photo on his camera. So, another birder and I zoomed over to the boardwalk trails where the blind is located. On a mission, we booked down the trail to the blind where a couple pointed us to the White Ibis. Albeit distant and hunkered down in the marsh, we were all able to enjoy great looks. See my horrid photo below. If you want great looks at this bird, the best place to see them is Disney World. They are EVERYWHERE there. All in all, a nice morning out.


8 comments:

Nate said...

Great pics!

I love Mourning Warblers and wish they were more common in my neck of the woods.

John B. said...

That is the same place where I saw the White Ibis. The swamp is all connected back there, so it must move up and down the channel. I missed the Mourning Warblers, unfortunately. I'd love to see one again.

Carol said...

Such a pretty little bird.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

corey said...

Mourning Warbler AND White Ibis? Someone is being a bit greedy, methinks...nice birds!

dguzman said...

Cool, Patrick!

Kim said...

The Mourning Warbler is so colorful. I can't even imagine being lucky enough to see a White Ibis. You got some REALLY good birds this week.

Carlene said...

Such beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

I live in Florida and it is an awesome place to see White Ibis. Some mornings I go out my front door and there's a whole flock feeding in my front yard! I saw one in my neighbor's yard catch and swallow a small snake.

I'm glad you got the opportunity to see one, especially so far north.

Anonymous said...

Find the files you are looking for at central-mp3.com the most comprehensive source for free-to-try files downloads on the Web