Sunday, November 02, 2008

I'm now a CBC Compiler!

I was recently asked to take over as the compiler of the Long Branch Christmas Bird Count. I wish the circumstances were better. Unfortunately, the former compiler, who has been doing a stellar job for 17 years, has some health issues (Get well G!).

Long Branch is a fairly prestigious count in NJ with many of the state's top birders coming out to participate. It's blessed with a great diversity of habitats including the ocean, lots of seaside freshwater lakes, grasslands, forests, and marshes - pretty much all the major habitats to be found in NJ. The count has taken place every year since 1935. In the last 20 years, it's averaged about 115 species per year. The highest count was 127 species in 2000. Rarities include Dovekie, Little Gull, Cackling Goose, Red-necked Grebe, Greater White-fronted Goose, Eurasian Wigeon, Dickcissel, Common Redpoll, and many others.

The count is on January 3. I'll also be participating as a counter as I am taking over the territory covered by the former compiler. It is an inland location that includes a lot of state park property at Allaire State Park. It includes a few lakes, some marshes, farmland, and lots of woodlands. It's a relatively unfamiliar area for me. I scouted it yesterday and it's extremely promising. There are some count birds that could be my responsibility to find that are not easily found elsewhere. These are birds like Eastern Meadowlark, Winter Wren, and Wood Duck. I'm excited about this opportunity and honored to have been recommended by some fellow birders to take over this count. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Patrick! But does this mean I have to salute you when next we meet?

:-)

Patrick B. said...

No, but I think you have to give me money!

Naturegirl said...

Patrick congratulations and what an opporunity for photography!
I recently visted Europe and enjoyed the simple pleasure of birding in the various countries that I visited!Ahh..if only I had wings...what could I see!

Susan Gets Native said...

Well, Woo to the Hoo, Patrick!

Echoing John's comment...do you prefer a salute or a curtsy?

corey said...

Hey, congrats...I'd try to get there for it but I'll most likely be in sunny SoCal then.

And even if you prefer curtsies you'll get none from me!

Owlman said...

WOW, now you're a BIG shot!

Anonymous said...

Hey Patrick, Congrats a plenty! I know you're going to have a blast out there! I am lucky enough to be in a location here in Northern California where I get to participate in three CBCs in three weeks, Redding, Anderson and Fall River Mills. I love the CBCs and look forward to them every year.