Monday, November 27, 2006

A Letter to Rosie

Beth and I were watching a recording of today's episode of "The View". We record it on our DVR and watch the first 15-20 minutes of their "Topics" section. It's usually pretty interesting and funny. Today, Rosie O'Donnell, the legendary giver of freebies and koosh balls, was discussing the iguanas that live on the property of her Miami home. Her daughter had rescued an injured iguana and put it in a tree. Rosie's thought was that one of the many stray neighborhood cats got it after they left it in the tree. She then mentioned how her neighborhood has many cats like this. *BING* That set off one of my biggest pet peeves, no pun intended. Cats should be kept indoors. It's that simple. If it lives outside, it's not a pet. So, I took it upon myself to email Rosie. I didn't want to reprimand her, since she did nothing wrong. I wanted to bring the negative aspects of outdoor cats to her attention since she has such a great forum to communicate to the masses. Actually, Rosie doesn't have an email box on The View's web site, but her co-host Elisabeth does. I actually ended up emailing Elisabeth and asking her to pass the message to Rosie. Let's hope she gets it and mentions it on the show. I also was sure to include a link to the American Bird Conservancy's Cats Indoors Campaign.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray!
Rick

Susan Gets Native said...

High Five, Patrick!
It burns my butt, too. I have had a banner at the bottom of my blog for months linking to the ABC. I wish I could put it higher on my page, but it's too huge.
It's people like you who make changes. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Let us know if you get a reply, or if they mention it on the tube

MojoMan said...

Careful there, Patrick. Cat lovers don't like being told it's not 'cute' when their sweet kitty plays with little mouse, or something. They'll tell you nature is harsh, cats are not vegetarian, if it weren't for cats we'd be overrun with rats, etc.

You have an uphill battle, but it's a good fight.

Beth said...

I'm so glad you did this, Honey. Every little bit helps and if they talk about it on The View it could help a lot.

Patrick B. said...

No messages back from The View yet, but cross your fingers everyone!

Anonymous said...

Patrick...aren't you SCARED of Rosie?!