Thursday, August 31, 2006

Those other "bird songs"

I've been thinking about songs that mention birds in their lyrics and paying a special tribute to those that I know well. It takes a special lyricist to use a bird in their songs, but it takes a better one to reference an odd bird that not everyone would know. Those are the songs I'm looking for. Any help out there in the blogosphere? Please leave a comment.

Rockin' Robin - Bobby Day or Michael Jackson (pre-craziness)
Ok, it's an obvious choice, but "He out-bopped the buzzard and the oriole." is a great line. I'd like to think that the song references the Honey Buzzard of Europe, but they were probably using the colloquial term for a vulture or hawk. The song also refers to a "chickadee", a "swallow", and an array of other birds.

Suite Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
At least, I think Neil Young was part of this one... This song references both the "Chestnut-brown Canary" and "Ruby-throated Sparrow". I couldn't find a reference to either being a real bird and the words are probably meant to be more descriptive than defining a real species, but Stephen Stills gets an "A" for effort. Also, I'm sure if I was hanging out with him circa 1969, I would have been seeing birds like this too, if you catch my drift.

Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
In this song, the throaty songbird of Fleetwood Mac fame, one of my favorite female singers ever, refers frequently to the "White-winged Dove". She could have sang about any ol' generic dove, but she chose this southwestern fella to grace her song. According to the song, the White-winged Dove sings "Oooh baby, oooh". I think a case can be made for that.

Ok, this is all I've got for now. Help me out! Let's try to keep it to songs that most people would know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Patrick, my high school yearbook quote was from John Denver's The Eagle and the Hawk

"I am the eagle, I live in high country
In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky
I am the hawk and theres blood on my feathers
But time is still turning they soon will be dry
And all of those who see me, all who believe in me
Share in the freedom I feel when I fly"

No comments about being dorky enough in high school to choose a John Denver song, either, especially since I graduated in the 80s...

jillmcm from Feathered Friends

Patrick B. said...

I won't hold anything against you, Jill! I found myself constantly singing "Rocky Mountain High" while in Colorado. I'll have to look for that song on Itunes.

Anonymous said...

OK well here are three.. first one mentioned by alice from FF:
1. "Blackbird", The Beatles;
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

2. "Blue Jay Way"; The Beatles;
Now it's past my bed I know (know!)
And I'd really like to go (go!)
Soon will be the break of day (day!)
Sitting here in Blue Jay Way (way!)

3. "Mockingbird", Peter, Paul & Mary;
Hush little baby, don't say a word
Pappa's gonna buy you a mockingbird
If that mockingbird don't sing
Pappa's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

Cheers! dakster (-:

Anonymous said...

Not a species - but my favorite is Leonard Cohen -

Like a bird on the wire,
Like a drunk in a midnight choir,
I have tried, in my way, to be free.

Anonymous said...

Hello , my friend. I want your help. Pls visit my site to see this bird and tell me what kind of mule is this bird

http://samakos.blogspot.com/2008/06/sos.html

Thank a lot