Thursday, June 11, 2009

CSA Bounty

Excitement abounds! We are members of the Rutgers Community Supported Agriculture program this year and today was our first pick up. The cold and wet weather here made the share a bit small this week, but it's still plenty for the two of us. I'm sure we'll have MORE than enough over the summer to make up for it. Our stash includes:

LOTS of salad greens including one that tastes remarkably like wasabi (some type of arugula maybe?)
Pea shoots
Kale
Scallions
Radishes
Lemon Balm
Sage

So, my first order of business was to address a craving I had for scallion pancakes. Consider it done.


7 comments:

Susan T. said...

I'm impressed! I only managed a salad with yesterday's bag of goodies! Left a belated comment on your local birding post.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

That pancake looks delish!
I'll bet it smells even better.

Beth said...

It was yummy! Thanks again, Babe.

Jennifer W. Hanson said...

I've been yearning for scallion pancakes myself lately, but I just bought a big bag of scallions from the local Asian market. All my friends who have CSA shares live with other people, and they're still awash in produce. I love the idea, but it sounds like it's much too much food for a single-person household like mine. So I try (mostly unsuccessfully) to have some kind of deck garden, and work the local farm stands and markets otherwise.

Patrick B. said...

It'd definitely be a lot for one person. I think we might be challenged with two of us. If you're willing to put in the time to make lots of dishes and freeze stuff when you get it, it could be done. But that could be tough. Susan does it with one person, so maybe she can comment.

Mike said...

CSAs are fun. You never know exactly what you'll get. Unfortunately, you can also find yourself afflicted with vegetables you have no use for. The one I used a couple of years ago had an inordinate fondness for Japanese turnips, a rather useless vegetable in my opinion.

Kasha said...

Hey there! I love your blog about birds and I am so excited for you and your food Co-op. I too joined one and love it. I was wondering if you would be willing to add my humble blog to your amazing blog's bloglist? I will be adding your blog to mine and would feel honored to be on a blog such as this. Thank you so much!
Kasha
http://greenrus.blogspot.com/