Friday, February 13, 2009

Get out there and count!

Today is the start of The Great Backyard Bird Count! Get out there and begin counting! Bringing out the trash this morning, I already had 2 Turkey Vultures, 2 American Crows, 2 American Robins, and 1 American Goldfinch fly over my house. I don't usually see Vultures directly over my house, especially not at 7:30 AM.

And remember, your counting doesn't necessarily have to be in your yard. It can be in a park, refuge, or wherever. Even if you don't know all the birds, count the ones you do know. But don't guess at the ones you don't! It makes the job of the state reviewer (like me) more difficult.

Most importantly, have fun!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Patrick, I have been like that too. I have had success seeing birds doing mundane errands, but not luck when I went across the street into the woods. Go figure. I have seen about 15 different species though thus far.

John B. said...

It looks like I'm creating some work for you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Patrick,

I've been counting in my backyard. Not too many species (15 yesterday) but lots of 'um.

Not having your email, I will ask you here. I am hosting the next IATB and hoping you will be submitting a post.

My email is Larry@TheBirdersReport.com